Updates on oral HPV and epidemiology of HPV-OPC
Speaker: Gypsyamber D’Souza, PhD, MS, MPH
* This speaker has been verified as having no relevant conflicts of interest or financial relationships to disclose.
Course Description (3 Credit Hours)
Will review what you need to know, common questions and answers, and epidemiologic trends in oral HPV infection and HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer. Topics covered include:
- WHAT IS HPV: Role of HPV in causing oropharyngeal cancer
- HOW COMMON IS IT?: Oral HPV prevalence
- HOW IS IT SPREAD? Oral HPV transmission
- WHO CLEARS AND WHO PERSIST: Oral HPV natural history. Does virus become latent and re-activate?
- WHAT IS HPV-OPC – epidemiology and trends
- WHO GETS HPV-OPC –reasons for disparities by sex, race, and age
- SHOULD WE SCREEN: Biomarkers for HPV-OPC – useful for not?
- WHY IS IT INCREASING AND OTHER QUESTIONS: Common questions and answers
Objectives of course:
- Understand how common oral HPV infection is and risk factors
- Understand trends in HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer
- Be able to answer questions about oral HPV, HPV-OPC, and HPV biomarkers
At the end of this course the participant will:
- Know the most recent updates about HPV-related orpharyngeal cancer – what it is, why its increasing, and how to answer questions about HPV.